Moral Injury Resources
SOCIAL WORK AND COMMUNITY ADVOCATES RESOURCES
- Moral Injury and Healing in Child Welfare online training course by the University of Minnesota Gamble-Skogmo Chair Program in Child Welfare and Youth Policy
- Herman, Judith (1997). Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence – From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror. New York: Basic Books.
- Koch, Tom (2017). Ethics in Everyday Places: Mapping Moral Stress, Distress, and Injury. Redlands: MIT Press.
- Lynd, Alice and Lynd, Staughton (2017). Moral Injury and Nonviolent Resistance: Breaking the Cycle of Violence in the Military and Behind Bars. Oakland: PM Press.
- Reamer, Frederic G. (2020). Moral Distress and Injury in Human Services: Cases, Causes, and Strategies for Prevention. Washington: NASW Press.
- Cantu, Derek (Feb. 17, 2021). Sentencing Reform Advocates Urge State to Prioritize Incarceration Alternatives. WGLT.org.
- Janssen, Scott (April 6, 2020). Moral Injury in Health Care and COVID-19. Social Work Today.
- Weintrobe, Sally (2020). Moral injury, the culture of uncare and the climate bubble. Journal of Social Work Practice, 34(4), 351-362. DOI: 10.1080/02650533.2020.1844167.
- Nicholas, Patrice K.; Breakey, Suellen; White, Bradley P.; Brown, Margaret J.; Fanuele, Jenny; Starodub, Roksolana; and Ros, Ana Viamonte (2020). Mental Health Impacts of Climate Change: Perspectives for the ED Clinician. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 46(5), 590-599. DOI: 10.1016/j.jen.2020.05.014.
- Hoffman, Joel; Liddell, Belinda; Bryant, Richard; and Nickerson, Angela (2018). The relationship between moral injury appraisals, trauma exposure, and mental health in refugees. Depression and Anxiety, 35, 1-10. DOI: 10.1002/da.22787.
- Haight, Wendy; Sugrue, Erin; Calhoun, Molly; and Black, James (2017). “Basically, I look at it like combat”: Reflections on moral injury by parents involved with child protection services. Children and Youth Services Review, 82, 477-489. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2017.10.009.
- Haight, Wendy; Sugrue, Erin; Calhoun, Molly; and Black, James (2017). Everyday coping with moral injury: The perspectives of professionals and parents involved with child protection services. Children and Youth Services Review, 82, 108-121. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2017.09.025.
- Haight, Wendy; Sugrue, Erin; Calhoun, Molly; and Black, James (2017). Moral injury among Child Protection Professionals: Implications for the ethical treatment and retention of workers. Children and Youth Services Review, 82, 27-41. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2017.08.030.
- Fenton, Jane and Kelly, Timothy B. (2017). ‘Risk is King and Needs to take a Backseat!’ Can social workers’ experiences of moral injury strengthen practice? Journal of Social Work Practice, 31(4), 461-475. DOI: 10.1080/02650533.2017.1394827.
- Trombley, Janna; Chalupka, Stephanie; and Anderko, Laura (2017). Climate Change and Mental Health. AJN The American Journal of Nursing, 117(4), 44-52. DOI: 10.1097/01.NAJ.0000515232.51795.fa.
- Haight, Wendy; Sugrue, Erin; Calhoun, Molly; and Black, James (2016). A scoping study of moral injury: Identifying directions for social work research. Children and Youth Services Review, 70, 190-200. DOI: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2016.09.026.
- Blinka, Dee and Harris, Helen (2016). Moral Injury in Warriors and Veterans: The Challenge to Social Work. Journal of Social Work & Christianity, 43(3), 7-27.
- Kopacz, Marek S.; Simons, Kelsey V.; and Chitaphong, Khamkay (2015). Moral Injury: An Emerging Clinical Construct with Implications for Social Work Education. Journal of Religion & Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 34(3), 252-264. DOI: 10.1080/15426432.2015.1045681.
- Dombo, Eileen A.; Gray, Cathleen; and Early, Barbara P. (2013). The Trauma of Moral Injury: Beyond the Battlefield. Journal of Religion & Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 32(3), 197-210. DOI: 10.1080/15426432.2013.801732.
- Siebert, Darcy Clay (2006). Personal and Occupational Factors in Burnout Among Practicing Social Workers. Journal of Social Service Research, 32(2), 25-44. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1300/J079v32n02_02.