Moral Injury Resources
CHAPLAINS, SPIRITUAL CARE, RELIGIOUS LEADERS RESOURCES
- Moral Resilience in Pastoral Care Workers During COVID-19
- Moral Resilience for Spiritual Leaders During COVID-19
- VA Clergy Toolkit: Moral injury – National Center for PTSD
- Trauma and Moral Injury: A Guiding Framework for Chaplains – Chaplaincy Innovation Lab
- Soul Repair Center at Brite Divinity School
- The National Association of Veterans Affairs Chaplains (NAVAC)
- Graham, Larry Kent (2017). Moral Injury: Restoring Wounded Souls. Abingdon Press.
- Grimsley, Charles W. and Grimsley, Gaylene (2017). PTSD & Moral Injury: The Journey to Healing Through Forgiveness. Xulon Press.
- Jensen, Wollom A. and Childs, James M. (2016). Moral Warriors, Moral Wounds: The Ministry of the Christian Ethic. Eugene: Cascade Books.
- Kelle, Brad, ed. (2020). Moral Injury: A Guidebook for Understanding and Engagement. London: Lexington Books.
- Kelle, Brad (2020). The Bible and Moral Injury: Reading Scripture Alongside War’s Unseen Wounds. Nashville: Abingdon Press.
- Koenig, Harold; Ames, Donna; and Pearce, Michelle (2019). Religion and Recovery from PTSD. Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Larson, Duane H. and Zust, Jeff (2017). Care for the Sorrowing Soul: Healing Moral Injuries from Military Service and Implications for the Rest of Us. Eugene: Cascade Books.
- Lee, Lewis Jeffery (2018). Moral Injury Reconciliation: A Practitioner’s Guide for Treating Moral Injury, PTSD, Grief, and Military Sexual Trauma through Spiritual Formation Strategies. London: Jessica Kinglsey Publishers.
- McDonald, Joseph, ed. (2017). Exploring Moral Injury in Sacred Texts (Studies in Religion and Theology). London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Moon, Zachary (2019). Warriors Between Worlds: Moral Injury and Identities in Crisis. Lanham: Lexington Books.
- Papadopoulos, Renos K. (2020). Moral Injury and Beyond: Understanding Human Anguish and Healing Traumatic Wounds. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Powers, Brian S. (2019). Full Darkness: Original Sin, Moral Injury, and Wartime Violence. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans Publishing Co.
- Ramsay, Nancy J. and Doehring, Carrie (2019). Military Moral Injury and Spiritual Care: A Resource for Religious Leaders and Professional Caregivers. Saint Louis: Chalice Press.
- Seligman, Adam B. and Weller, Robert P. (2012). Rethinking Pluralism: Ritual, Experience, and Ambiguity. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Verkamp, Bernard J. (2006). Moral Treatment of Returning Warriors in Early Medieval and Modern Times. Scranton: University of Scranton Press.
- Wiinikka-Lydon, Joseph (2020). Moral Injury and the Promise of Virtue. Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Yocum, Cecilia (2016). Help for Moral Injury: Strategies and Interventions. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- Townsend, Tim (April 10, 2015). Chaplains on front lines in struggle to heal ‘moral injuries’. Washington Post.
- Bindu, Menon; Narayan, Sunil K.; and Bhade, Sushruth (2021). COVID-19, Moral Injury and the Bhagvad Gita. Journal of Religion and Health, online ahead of print. DOI: 10.1007/s10943-021-01210-z.
- Kelle, Brad E. (2021). Moral Injury and Biblical Studies: An Early Sampling of Research and Emerging Trends. Currents in Biblical Research, 19(2), 121-144. DOI: 10.1177/1476993X20942383.
- Cockell, Nell (2020). COVID-19 and Grief : A Chaplain’s Reflection on the Experience of Supporting Bereaved Parents and Widows in Lockdown. Health and Social Care Chaplaincy, 8(2), 251-264. DOI: 10.1558/hscc.41757.
- Alexander, David William (2020). Walking Together in Exile: Medical Moral Injury and the Clinical Chaplain. Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling, 74(2), 82-90. DOI: 10.1177/1542305020912263.
- Cenkner, David P.; Yeomans, Peter D.; Antal, Chris J.; and Scott, J. Cobb (2020). A Pilot Study of a Moral Injury Group Intervention Co-Facilitated by a Chaplain and Psychologist. Journal of Traumatic Stress. DOI: 10.1002/jts.22642.
- Brémault-Phillips, Suzette; Pike, Ashley; Scarcella, Francesca; Cherwick, Terry (2019). Spirituality and Moral Injury Among Military Personnel: A Mini-Review. Front Psychiatry, 10, 276. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyt.2019.00276.
- Moon, Zachary (2019). “Turn Now, My Vindication Is at Stake”: Military Moral Injury and Communities of Faith. Pastoral Psychology, 68, 93-105. DOI: 10.1007/s11089-017-0795-8.
- Ramsay, Nancy J. (2019). Moral Injury as Loss and Grief with Attention to Ritual Resources for Care. Pastoral Psychology, 68(1), 107-135. DOI: 10.1007/s11089-018-0854-9.
- Kopacz, Marek S.; Adams, Mary S.; Searle, Robert; Koenig, Harold G.; and Bryan, Craig J. (2018). A Preliminary Study Examining the Prevalence and Perceived Intensity of Morally Injurious Events in a Veterans Affairs Chaplaincy Spiritual Injury Support Group. Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy, 25(2), 76-88. DOI: 10.1080/08854726.2018.1538655.
- Carey, Lindsay B. and Hodgson, Timothy J. (2018). Chaplaincy, Spiritual Care and Moral Injury: Considerations Regarding Screening and Treatment. Front Psychiatry, 9, 619. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00619.
- Drescher, Kent D.; Currier, Joseph M.; Nieuwsma, Jason A.; McCormick, Wesley; Carroll, Timothy D.; Sims, Brook M.; Cauterucio, Christine (2018). A Qualitative Examination of VA Chaplains' Understandings and Interventions Related to Moral Injury in Military Veterans. Journal of Religion and Health, 57(6), 2444-2460. DOI: 10.1007/s10943-018-0682-3.
- Liebert, Elizabeth A. (2018). Accessible Spiritual Practices to Aid in Recovery from Moral Injury. Pastoral Psychology, 68, 41-57. DOI: 10.1007/s11089-018-0825-1.
- Meador, Keith G.; Nieuwsma, Jason A. (2018) Moral Injury: Contextualized Care. Journal of Medical Humanities, 39(1), 93-99. DOI: 10.1007/s10912-017-9480-2.
- Smith-MacDonald, Lorraine A.; Morin, Jean-Sébastien; Brémault-Phillips, Suzette (2018). Spiritual Dimensions of Moral Injury: Contributions of Mental Health Chaplains in the Canadian Armed Forces. Front Psychiatry, 9, 592. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00592.
- Grimell, Jan (2018). Contemporary Insights from Biblical Combat Veterans through the Lenses of Moral Injury and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling, 72(4), 241-250. DOI: 10.1177/1542305018790218.
- Pyne, Jeffrey M.; Rabalais, Aline; Sullivan, Steve (2018). Mental Health Clinician and Community Clergy Collaboration to Address Moral Injury in Veterans and the Role of the Veterans Affairs Chaplain. Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy, 25(1), 1-19. DOI: 10.1080/08854726.2018.1474997.
- Keefe-Perry, L. Callid and Moon, Zachary (2018). Courage in Chaos: The Importance of Trauma-Informed Adult Religious Education. Religious Education, 114, 1-12. DOI: 10.1080/00344087.2018.1435989.
- Litz, Brett, and Carney, Jessica R. (2018). Employing loving-kindness meditation to promote self- and other-compassion among war veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 5(3), 201–211. DOI: 10.1037/scp0000174.
- Harris, J. Irene; Usset, Timothy; Voecks, Cory; Thuras, Paul; Currier, Joseph; and Erbes, Christopher (2018). Spiritually integrated care for PTSD: A randomized controlled trial of "Building Spiritual Strength". Psychiatry Research, 267, 420–428. DOI: 10.1016/j.psychres.2018.06.045.
- Hodgson, Timothy J. and Carey, Lindsay B. (2017). Moral Injury and Definitional Clarity: Betrayal, Spirituality and the Role of Chaplains. Journal of Religion and Health, 56(4), 1212-1228. DOI: 10.1007/s10943-017-0407-z.
- Kopacz, Marek S.; Ducharme, Courtney; Ani, David; Atlig, Ahmet (2017). Towards a faith-based understanding of moral injury. Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling; 71(4), 217-219. DOI: 10.1177/1542305017743249.
- Carey, Lindsay B.; Hodgson, Timothy J.; Krikheli, Lillian; Soh, Rachel Y.; Armour, Annie Rose; Singh, Taranjeet K.; Impiombato, Cassandra G. (2016). Moral Injury, Spiritual Care and the Role of Chaplains: An Exploratory Scoping Review of Literature and Resources. Journal of Religion and Health, 55(4), 1218-45. DOI: 10.1007/s10943-016-0231-x.
- Stallinga, Beth A. (2013). What Spills Blood Wounds Spirit: Chaplains, Spiritual Care, and Operational Stress Injury. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 33, 13-31.
- Anonymous, Military Chaplain (2013). Costly Empathy. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 33, 32-36.
- Lettini, Gabriella (2013). Engaging the Moral Injuries of War: A Call to Spiritual Leaders. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 33, 37-47.
- Rorro, Mary C. (2013). A Korean War Veteran's Dream. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 33, 47-49.
- Drescher, Kent D.; Nieuwsma, Jason A.; and Swales, Pamela J. (2013). Morality and Moral Injury: Insights from Theology and Health Science. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 33, 50-61.
- Browne, Mary Q. (2013). Developing Shame Resilience through Pastoral Supervision. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 33, 62-65.
- Graham, Larry Kent (2013). Revisiting Family Narratives of War through Courageous Collaborative Pastoral Conversations. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 33, 66-75.
- Knowles, Caroline (2013). Notes toward a Neuropsychology of Moral Injury. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 33, 76-78.
- Hufford, David J.; Fritts, Matthew J.; and Rhodes, Jeffrey E. (2010). Spiritual Fitness. Military Medicine, 175(8), 73-87. DOI: 10.7205/MILMED-D-10-00075.
- Drescher, Kent D. and Foy, David W. (2008). When they Come Home: Posttraumatic Stress, Moral Injury, and Spiritual Consequences for Veterans. Reflective Practice: Formation and Supervision in Ministry, 28.
- Alcorta, Candace S. and Sosis, Richard (2005). Ritual, emotion, and sacred symbols. Human Nature, 16(4), 323-359. DOI: 10.1007/s12110-005-1014-3.