Fall Management Program
We continue to work with our Falls Management Program here at Sleepy Eye Care Center there are some things you can do for the residents’ safety while you are here visiting or when you take your family member with you on an outing.
If you are planning an outing with the resident:
- Be aware of their transfer ability for getting in and out of a car, getting in and out of a chair or going to the bathroom. Nursing staff can provide you with current ability level.
- Rather than holding onto their hands, arms or clothing to assist with transfers, we recommend using transfer belt (or gait belt). This is a special belt that gives something to hold onto support the transfer and have more control.
- A transfer belt can be purchased from our facility for you to keep and use whenever you take the resident out. Please contact the nursing supervisor. A nurse can show you how to properly apply and use a transfer belt.
If you have any questions regarding our Falls Management Program please contact the falls nurse coordinator, Rachel Evers, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Appropriate footwear not only allows for improved balance but also protects the feet from injury. If you are unsure of the appropriate size, a tracing of the foot can be done and brought to a quality shoe store as a template. Below is some basic information on shoes styles that provide good support and allow for the changes that occur in older adult's feet. This list was developed by a physical therapist with extensive experience treating the older adult population. It is in no way all inclusive but is meant to give you some basic information on what to look for in quality shoes.
Examples of Shoes:
- Tan Velcro Shoes - $133.96 SAS me too mocha. Comes in various widths. Good sole and toe room, good insert for support.
- Black Felt Slipper - Comfort Rite (60252 Heritage Slipper Stock #60252 by Sequoa) - $45.00. For someone who is resistant to any type of shoe and prefers a "slipper". Good sole, ample toe space, material is firm, comfortable and washable. Comes in various widths for proper fitting.
- Men’s shoes - Clarks price $60-$75. Can use elastic shoe laces and long handle shoe horn for ease in putting on by self.
- New Balance - buy a cross trainer style for the best sole, comes in various widths for better fit. Women's or Men's prices run $40-$70. Has good wide toe box and good insert. Buy elastic shoe laces or velcro for ease in independence in putting on.