June 21, 2010
Attendance: Ray Hollman, Sharon Randall, Mary Mennenga, LSW, Stephen Hawkinson, Jim and Sheila Dise, Margaret Pietrzack, Carole Guthrie, Cheryl Warner, Ruth Odell.
Special Guest: Ginger Mountin, RN, the new Director of Nursing (DON) introduced herself. She has 20+ years of experience in long term care and has been employed at
Discussion: Minutes of previous meetings reviewed. Suggestion of how to communicate minutes of meeting is through the monthly newsletter, the Lamplighter.
Suggestions to print in newsletter:
- Who to go to for various questions family members may have regarding care, meetings, meals, counseling, general questions.
- The group is interested in having speakers of various departments come to the meeting to provide information about their department.
- Suggestion that the speaker write a paragraph to be published in the Lamplighter the month they speak. Please contact Mary Mennenga, LSW with suggestions for speakers and articles.
- Many families unaware of how to contact masseuse or arrange massage therapy for their resident. Articles about the different services CCC provides can be article topics.
- Can family members and residents they put in “Congratulations, anniversary celebrations and hurdles they have achieved?” to the newsletter?
- Minutes of family council are posted on the web site. Suggestion to put menus and activity calendar on web site was made. Many people do not know about the web site www.crystalcarecenter.org Activity: Mary Mennenga, LSW, gave a “behind the scenes” tour of Crystal Care Center.
Steve Hawkinson is our go-to guy and president of Family Council. He can be reached at 763-425-7429. He will not be here for our next meeting July 19 4:30 pm in
The following are a list of family members of residents who are willing to take calls from other family members as a shoulder to share feelings with, problems, etc.
Jim Dise 952-593-1533
Steve Hawkinson 763-425-7429
Marge Pietrzak 763-544-0353
Carole Guthrie 808-377-8770
We encourage you to keep ideas, suggestions, and information to share with others and bring that to the meeting.
Thank you in advance: Notes recorded by Carole Guthrie.
May 17, 2010
Attendance: Mr. Hawkinson, Mrs. Jacobs, Mary Mennenga, LSW
Discussion of how to get increased attendance held. Article placed in monthly newsletter: Lamplighter inviting all family members to the council meeting on the third Monday of the month. Suggestion: place minutes on bulletin board on first floor, in south elevator, and sent out in monthly mailings, like the statements, or Care Conference invites and via email and/or posting on web site. Calling family members with a reminder the week prior to the meeting increased attendance as noted last month. Suggestion: co-sponsor a weekend activity that many families go to and display a table with Family Council information; invite families to a dinner; make flyers; post next meeting on website.
Discussion about the disconnect a family member may feel when placing a loved one in the facility, feelings of isolation, care giver burnout – adult children of Residents and the emotional impact of putting their parent in a nursing home, especially the first time. Wondering “Who do I talk to? Do they listen?” Suggestions for speakers for future meetings: Caregiver burnout – Dr. Brose, Karen Manthey, Department managers of Crystal Care: Social Service, Administrator, Therapy, Dietary, Activities, Nurses, Business Office, Pharmacist.
Mary will ask TR about weekend event to sponsor.
April 19, 2010
Attendance: Mr. Hawkinson, Mrs. Peitzrak, Mr. and Mrs. Dise, Mrs. Jacobs, Mr. Anderson, Mrs. Hanson, Mr. & Mrs. Webb, Mary Mennenga, LSW
Special Guest: Sue Horner, Interim DON, consultant. Please see her with any concerns. Her door is always open.
Dave Myren, Administrator: Encouraged families to continue to be an advocate for their Resident; Explained MDS, state rates, Box for Comcast needed.
Barb Jacobs, RN Falls Coordinator: gave presentation on the Empira Falls program that Crystal Care is participating.
March 15, 2010
Attendance: Mr. Hawkinson, Mrs. O’Dell, Mrs. Jacobs, Mrs. Zappa, Mrs. Brown, Mr. Menth, Mary Mennenga, LSW.
Council looked at family council survey. Suggestion: to send out survey with a cover letter asking input from family members about what each are interested in. Everyone invited just because you have someone in facility.
Discussion of organization of council and leadership held. President, Vice-president, Secretary/Treasurer positions suggested. Mr. Hawkinson volunteered to be president; Mrs. O’Dell volunteered to be secretary.
February 15, 2010
Attendance: Mr. Hawkinson, Mrs. Brown, Mr. Menth, Mrs. O’Dell, Mrs. Jacobs, Mr. Myren, administrator, Mary Mennenga, LSW
Family council has not been active in a long time. Some families have recently expressed interest in starting. Discussion about direction for family council to take: educational, support, advocacy, fundraising, meeting new family members. Expressed difficulty in moving loved one to skilled nursing facility.